Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Amusing

Kate and I went to the post office today. While there, I realized I needed stamps, so I went to the "mail it yourself" station. As I was finishing my purchase, this girl comes up to the stamp machine, which is next to us. She says, "Excuse me, can I ask you a question? I seriously haven't bought stamps in years and am not sure what I need to buy." I said sure, (thinking how in the heck can you go years without buying stamps??) and stepped aside to help her figure out what she needed. The Liberty Bell stamps were really throwing her for a loop (I guess because they don't have the monetary amount listed on them) and she had several things to mail. I was trying to explain why the Liberty Bell stamps were what she needed, even though they didn't have the price on them and in the middle of my explanation, she blurts out, "You're so cute-- haa haa." (Like one would say it to a child, not in an inappropriate way.) I was totally flustered and said, in response, "Oh." She thanked me again and turned to purchase her stamps. I almost reminded her that those machines give coin change, not dollar change, then thought better of it. As I was lugging Kate and her carseat out, I thought, hmmm. "Cute." I certainly wouldn't think of that adjective to describe me--it was rather amusing. Then I thought about my appearance--short hair, sunglasses on head, big shell necklace, plain t-shirt and shorts, hefting oojaboojy little baby girl--and realized, oh my, have times changed! That's how I look to a 20-something girl. Cute. I chuckled all the way to my car.

5 comments:

Beth said...

interesting. people call me cute more frequently than i would like, and i can't understand it either. how can you be 6'1" and cute? but if this girl was really thrown off by buying stamps, she's probably a little off anyway. because if i saw you, i would say, what a ravishingly stunning woman with an unbelievably gorgeous child.

Jen Luminati said...

Oh hush, you're making me blush. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello! What a unique experience! Fun! Great story, Jen! I second Beth...beautiful, that's what you are. Perhaps this new hairdo, the sun glasses, your great smile and your positive, helpful personality gave the word CUTE to her! Come to think of it, I bet you did look CUTE. Not to mention the presence of your CUTE sidekick...did she have her pink shades on? Thanks for the smile...Mom L + Pops, too

C.L. said...

I'm with Beth on this one. That girl was a little off her rocker and I would also label you as beautiful with a gorgeous child! I have ALWAYS been called "cute". It's a constant thing in my life-- even now in germany they call me cute. My first boyfriend called me cute. My husband calls me cute. oh well. sigh.

Erin said...

I am totally with Beth and if she hadn't said it I would have - someone who hasn't bought stamps in years is someone who might not get out that much ... but I think you ARE cute! I'll bet both you and Kate were just standing there looking totally and completely cute!